Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Real World Lucky Man Sightings - For Real

It began as a rumor. Lucky Man had been sighted at the Border's on Clark. It was soon confirmed. It was also said to be at the stores on Michigan and State. Also confirmed. Still, I had to see it for myself. I had to know for real. You know? I went to the Michigan Avenue store and headed to the basement. I started to look through the novels and as I did I was glad I knew the alphabet as well as I do. I searched and searched, it wasn't easy to find. And then boom, there it was on the bottom shelf, not one, but two copies. Real copies. Not virtual or anything like that. They were beautiful. Like newborns. The most wonderful part were the books they were tucked between - The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki described as "the greatest Japanese novel of the twentieth century" and the Pulitzer Prize winning The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington described as "the epic story of an American family's traumatic tumble." What grand company to be in and how welcoming these books were, both protecting and supporting Lucky Man in its first venture out in to the real world. I nearly wept. Thank you Borders. Thank you Junichiro Tanizaki. And thank you Booth Tarkington. This experience changed my life, and I hope it did yours as well, if only a little.

No comments: