Monday, August 8, 2011

Bloggers. Novelists. Blogger/ Novelists. And the Alex Kudera.

TBWCYL, Inc. favorite Alex Kudera not only talks to The New Dork Review of Books about the novelist/blogger relationship, as well as, the supportive nature of the Indy writer community, but even finds a way to mention TBWCYL, Inc. spokesperson Ben Tanzer, along with quite fine authors Steve Himmer, Charles Dodd White and Lavinia Ludlow, which more or less makes it our favorite Kudera interview of the day. Big thanks brother and now for some massively self-absorbed and maybe even life-changing, for us anyway, excerpt.

Greg: Do you think breaking down the line between reviewer/blogger and author is inherently a good thing? Why or why not?

Alex: I don’t see it as “inherently a good thing,” but I will say that the line is already broken; maybe it’s a dotted line indicating that passing is allowed? (For me, it has become exciting to see book bloggers become debut novelists.) In fact, novelists who also blog are the norm these days; if I’m not mistaken even big names like Rick Moody are blogging, and I believe that I’ve read it’s required by Moody’s publishing contract.

I see a lot of reciprocity within online writing communities, and there seems to be some sort of “you blog on me, I blog on you” expectation, and I’m very aware of a couple books I owe a read or blog to. For most of my life, I’ve experienced writing as a solitary act, but in the past year, I’m learning how to be a supportive part of the Indy book community — from active blogger-novelists like Ben Tanzer, Charles Dodd White, Lavinia Ludlow, and Steve Himmer (his Bee Loud Glade is also from Atticus Books).

No comments: