Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Some You Can Make Him Like You interview action courtesy of the Spilker, Codex and Impose.

Big appreciations to TBWCYL, Inc. favorite and long-time supporter Josh Spilker of Deckfight fame and the Codex blog at Impose magazine for interviewing TBWCYL, Inc. spokesperson Ben Tanzer about You Can Make Him Like You, podcasting, Chicago and trying not to be a dick.

Do you read your stuff out a lot? have you ever heard a reading from somebody that you didn't really like as a writer but they blew you away at a reading?

Over the last couple of years I have both pursued and been asked to read on an increased basis and I find it really fun, especially since I began to look at it as entertainment or performance, something less scripted and less focused on capturing exactly what's on the page. And to answer the second part of that question, I think I an more likely to see writers I like on the page who don't do much with their readings, versus what you have suggested, but as I am not going any farther with that, the answer that came to me as I read this, is how often I see a writer I don't know much about at the time, and then I see them read, and I think oh fuck, get that book, or read that book of theirs that's already sitting on the shelf, try to meet them, don't be a freak, and in that category I would cite Elizabeth Crane, Spencer Dew, Don DeGrazia, Barry Graham and Scott Haim among others, some of them I planned to see, others were just somewhere I was, all five of whom floored me in different ways and made me want to read their stuff in a much bigger and more immediate way.

No comments: